Simple Design of Double-Layer Antireflection Coating for Er-Doped Glass Laser Application
- lasers; erbium-doped glass; antireflection coatings; thin films; refractive index
How to Cite
In an Erbium-doped glass laser resonator, parasitic light oscillations (yielding a lowering of the output laser beam power) may be avoided by deposition of well-adapted antireflection coatings on the edges of the active glass medium. However, towards laser application, efficient double-layers are scarce in literature. Here, we propose a simple design of double-layer (total thickness < 490nm) composed of thin films of MgF2 and Al2O3, materials that are easy to deposit by electron beam evaporation. Such coating design allows a calculated reflectance to be lower than 0.01% in the considered 1530-1570nm Near-Infrared range.
- B. Denker and E. Shklovsky, Handbook of solid-state lasers: materials, systems and applications, Elsevier (Amsterdam), 2013.
- R. Francini, F. Giovenale, U. Grassano, P. Laporta and S. Taccheo, Spectroscopy of Er and Er–Yb-doped phosphate glasses, Opt. Mater. 13 (2000) 417.
- Z. Mierczyk, Selected Papers from International Conference on Optics and Optoelectronics’ 98, International Society for Optics and Photonics, 1999, 304.
- Y.-L. Lu, Y.-Q. Lu and N.-B. Ming, Fluorescence and attenuation properties of Er3+-doped phosphate-glass fibers and efficient infrared-to-visible up-conversion, Appl. Phys. B. 62 (1996) 287.
- W. Koechner, Solid-state laser engineering, Springer (New York), 2013.
- T. Tolenis, L. Grineviˇci¯ut˙e, R. Buzelis, L. Smalakys, E. Pupka, S. Melnikas, A. Selskis, R. Drazdys and A. Melninkaitis, Sculptured anti-reflection coatings for high power lasers, Opt. Mater. Express. 7 (2017) 1249.
- M. Keshavarz Hedayati and M. Elbahri, Antireflective coatings: Conventional stacking layers and ultrathin plasmonic metasurfaces, a mini-review, Materials 9 (2016) 497.
- M. Bass, C. DeCusatis, J. Enoch, V. Lakshminarayanan, G. Li, C. MacDonald, V. Mahajan and E. Van Stryland, Handbook of optics, Volume IV: Optical properties of materials, (New York City), 2009.
- J. Dobrowolski, Advances in Optical Thin Films II, International Society for Optics and Photonics, 2005, 596303.
- H. K. Raut, V. A. Ganesh, A. S. Nair and S. Ramakrishna, Anti-reflective coatings: A critical, in-depth review, Energy Environ. Sci. 4 (2011) 3779.
- A. H. Jareeze, Design and simulation antireflection coating for laser Nd:YAG (1064nm) wavelength and has multifrequency (532,355nm) on glass substrate, ANJS 11 (2008) 104.
- https://www.rp-photonics.com/anti reflection coatings.html
- Y. Wei, H. Liu, O. Sheng, Z. Liu, S. Chen and L. Yang, Laser damage properties of TiO2/Al2O3 thin films grown by atomic layer deposition, Appl. Opt. 50 (2011) 4720.
- Q. Zhang, F. Pan, J. Luo, Q. Wu, Z. Wang and Y. Wei, Optical and laser damage properties of HfO2/Al2O3 thin films deposited by atomic layer deposition, J. Alloys Compd. 659 (2016) 288.
- N. Uehara, R. Okuda and T. Shidara, Optical Interference Coatings, Optica Publishing Group, 2004, WA5.
- H. V. Mai, A. Jaffr´e, K. M. Doan, T. D. Trinh and O. Schneegans, A new simple analytical method for a highly accurate determination of the optical parameters of a slab from transmittance data, Appl. Spectrosc. 76 (2022) 590.
- E. Nichelatti, Complex refractive index of a slab from reflectance and transmittance: analytical solution, J. Opt. 4 (2002) 400.
- C. Yin, M. Zhu, T. Zeng, J. Sun, R. Zhang, J. Zhao, L. Wang and J. Shao, Al2O3 anti-reflection coatings with graded-refractive index profile for laser applications, Opt. Mater. Express. 11 (2021) 875.
- J. Kischkat, S. Peters, B. Gruska, M. Semtsiv, M. Chashnikova, M. Klinkm¨uller, O. Fedosenko, S. Machulik, A. Aleksandrova, G. Monastyrskyi, Y. Flores and W. Ted Masselink, Mid-infrared optical properties of thin films of aluminum oxide, titanium dioxide, silicon dioxide, aluminum nitride, and silicon nitride, Appl. Opt. 51 (2012) 6789.
- R. Boidin, T. Halenkoviˇc, V. Nazabal, L. Beneˇs and P. Nˇemec, Pulsed laser deposited alumina thin films, Ceram. Int. 42 (2016) 1177.
- H. V. Mai, D. C. Duong, H. H. Le, B. D. Bui, N. N. Phan, K. K. Doan, H. M. Nguyen, A. Jaffr´e and O. Schneegans, The 10th International Conference on Photonics and Applications, Publishing House for Science and Technology, 2018, 71.