Study of Charge Transfer Contribution to Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering Activity of Cu\(_2\)O Nano-octahedral Substrate
- charge transfer contribution,
- octahedral Cu2O nanocrystals
How to Cite
In this study, a surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) substrate based on an octahedral cuprous oxide (Cu2O) nanostructure to probe methylene blue (MB) molecules as an analyte chemical has been implemented. Octahedral Cu2O nanocrystals were synthesized by a novel hydrothermal process using only ethylene glycol as both a reductant and organic solvent. The characteristics of Cu2O nanocrystals were well recognized by scanning electron microscope (SEM), X-ray diffraction (XRD), energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDX), FTIR, and Raman spectroscopy. The mechanism of the SERS surface has been thoroughly investigated and has been shown to involve the contributions of both surface plasmon resonance and charge transfer effects. Using a simple collection rule for SERS bands, the portion of charge transfer processes was estimated to be about 46%.
- E. Le Ru, P. Etchegoin, Principles of Surface-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy: and Related Plasmonic Effects, Elsevier, 2008.
- R. Aroca, Surface-enhanced Vibrational Spectroscopy, John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
- Z.-Q. Tian, B. Ren and D.-Y. Wu, Surface-enhanced raman scattering: from noble to transition metals and from rough surfaces to ordered nanostructures, J. Phys. Chem. B 106 (2002) 9463.
- W. Li, P.H. Camargo, X. Lu and Y. Xia, Dimers of silver nanospheres: Facile synthesis and their use as hot spots for surface-enhanced raman scattering, Nano -Lett. 9 (2009) 485.
- I. Alessandri, J.R. Lombardi, Enhanced Raman Scattering with Dielectrics, Chem Rev, 116 (2016) 14921-14981.
- J.R. Lombardi, R.L. Birke, Theory of Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering in Semiconductors, J. Phys. Chem. C 118 (2014) 11120.
- J.R. Lombardi, R.L. Birke, A unified view of surface-enhanced Raman scattering Acc. Chem. Res, 42 (2009) 734.
- H. Dizajghorbani Aghdam, S. Moemen Bellah, R. Malekfar, Surface-enhanced Raman scattering studies of Cu/Cu2O Core-shell NPs obtained by laser ablation Spectrochim. Acta-Part A Mol. Biomol. Spectrosc, 223 (2019) 117379.
- L. Chen, H. Sun, Y. Zhao, Y. Zhang, Y. Wang, Y. Liu, X. Zhang, Y. Jiang, Z. Hua, J. Yang, Plasmonic-induced SERS enhancement of shell-dependent Ag@Cu2O core–shell nanoparticles, RSC. Adv. 7 (2017) 16553.
- A.P. Richter, J.R. Lombardi, B. Zhao, Size and wavelength dependence of the charge-transfer contributions to surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy in Ag/PATP/ZnO junctions, J. Phys. Chem. C 114 (2010) 1610.
- N. Dasineh Khiavi, R. Katal, S. Kholghi Eshkalak, S. Masudy-Panah, S. Ramakrishna, H. Jiangyong, Visible light driven heterojunction photocatalyst of CuO–Cu2O thin films for photocatalytic degradation of organic pollutants, Nanomaterials, 9 (2019) 1011.
- F. Bayat, S. Sheibani, Enhancement of photocatalytic activity of CuO-Cu2O heterostructures through the controlled content of Cu2O, Mater. Res. Bull, 145 (2022) 111561.
- S.S. Sawant, A.D. Bhagwat, C.M. Mahajan, Synthesis of cuprous oxide (Cu2O) nanoparticles–a review, Journal of Nano- and Electronic Physics, 8 (2016) 01035.
- A. Sahai, N. Goswami, S.D. Kaushik, S. Tripathi, Cu/Cu2O/CuO nanoparticles: Novel synthesis by exploding wire technique and extensive characterization, Appl. Surf. Sci, 390 (2016) 974.
- D. Mardiansyah, T. Badloe, K. Triyana, M.Q. Mehmood, N. Raeis-Hosseini, Y. Lee, H. Sabarman, K. Kim, J. Rho, Effect of temperature on the oxidation of Cu nanowires and development of an easy to produce, oxidationresistant transparent conducting electrode using a PEDOT:PSS coating, Scie. Rep, 8 (2018).
- H. Solache-Carranco, G. Juarez-Diaz, M. Galvan-Arellano, J. Martinez-Juarez, R. Pena-Sierra, Raman scattering and photoluminescence studies on Cu2O, Computing Science and Automatic Control, IEEE, 2008, pp. 421.
- B.K. Meyer, A. Polity, D. Reppin, M. Becker, P. Hering, B. Kramm, P.J. Klar, T. Sander, C. Reindl, C. Heiliger, M. Heinemann, C. M¨uller, C. Ronning, The Physics of Copper Oxide (Cu2O), Semiconductors and Semimetals, 88 (2013) 201.
- T. Ito, T. Kawashima, H. Yamaguchi, T. Masumi, S. Adachi, Optical properties of Cu 2 O studied by spectroscopic ellipsometry, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn, 67 (1998) 2125-2131.
- S. Ishizuka, S. Kato, T. Maruyama, K. Akimoto, Nitrogen doping into Cu2O thin films deposited by reactive radio-frequency magnetron sputtering, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 40 (2001) 2765.
- K. Sahu, A. Bisht, S.A. Khan, I. Sulania, R. Singhal, A. Pandey, S. Mohapatra, Thickness dependent optical, structural, morphological, photocatalytic and catalytic properties of radio frequency magnetron sputtered nanostructured Cu2O–CuO thin films, Ceramics International, 46 (2020) 14902-14912.
- T. Ito, T. Masumi, Detailed examination of relaxation processes of excitons in photoluminescence spectra of Cu2O, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 66 (1997) 2185.
- L. Jin, G. She, X. Wang, L. Mu, W. Shi, Enhancing the SERS performance of semiconductor nanostructures through a facile surface engineering strategy, Appl. Surf. Sci, 320 (2014) 591.
- S. Dutta Roy, M. Ghosh, J. Chowdhury, Adsorptive parameters and influence of hot geometries on the SER(R) S spectra of methylene blue molecules adsorbed on gold nanocolloidal particles, J. Raman Spectrosc, 46 (2015) 451.
- S.D. Roy, P. Sett, M. Ghosh, J. Chowdhury, Charge transfer mechanism and the adsorptive stance of methylene blue on gold nanocolloids: a vis-`a-vis aftermath, J. Raman Spectrosc, 48 (2017) 38-45.
- S. Kundu, W. Dai, Y. Chen, L. Ma, Y. Yue, A.M. Sinyukov, H. Liang, Shape-selective catalysis and surface enhanced Raman scattering studies using Ag nanocubes, nanospheres and aggregated anisotropic nanostructures, J. Colloid Interface Sci. 498 (2017) 248.
- T.T.H. Pham, X.H. Vu, T.T. Trang, N.X. Ca, N.D. Dien, P. Van Hai, N.T. Ha Lien, N. Trong Nghia, T.T. Kim Chi, Enhance Raman scattering for probe methylene blue molecules adsorbed on ZnO microstructures due to charge transfer processes, Opt. Mater., 120 (2021) 11460.
- Z. Zhang, Y. Yu, P. Wang, Hierarchical top-porous/bottom-tubular TiO2 nanostructures decorated with Pd nanoparticles for efficient Photoelectrocatalytic decomposition of synergistic pollutants, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 4 (2012) 990.
- T. Oku, T. Yamada, K. Fujimoto, T. Akiyama, Microstructures and Photovoltaic Properties of Zn(Al)O/Cu2OBased Solar Cells Prepared by Spin-Coating and Electrodeposition, Coatings 4 (2014) 203.
- J.R. Lombardi, R.L. Birke, A unified approach to surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy, J. Phys. Chem. C 112 (2008) 5605.
- C. Qiu, Y. Bao, N.L. Netzer, C. Jiang, Structure evolution and SERS activation of cuprous oxide microcrystals via chemical etching, J. Mater. Chem. A, 1 (2013) 8790.